Monday, February 1, 2010

Find Something you Enjoy

Find Something you Enjoy

Andy Nelson for www.GetFitNYC.com


 


    As adults we often try something one time and decide we don't like it. On the other hand, one of the rules you learn as a parent is that your child will have to try a new food item 10 times before they can make the decision whether they like it or not. I will compare the eating palette to the exercise palette.

    When we eat as adults we know right away whether we like something. Broccoli, brussels sprouts or artichokes can differ depending on the chef. I have had a sweet, crunchy piece of broccoli that was steamed perfectly so its natural flavor came through. If I never tried broccoli again after the first time, I would have never had that experience. The same is true of many things that aren't fantastic the first time (wink, wink).
Even certain types of apples aren't very good. Most of the apples I grew up eating were soft, mealy and had little flavor. I have since tried Macintosh, Macouns, Fuji, Pink Lady, Jonagold, etc.

    Now let me juxtapose this discussion with the topic of exercise. I liked running from the start; maybe it was because I was running with my dad, or maybe I just liked the feeling of using my muscles. I liked biking from the start also, and weight lifting and snowboarding. However, I did not like Step aerobics, swimming, or table tennis. I still have not gone back to Step aerobics (though I did once have to teach the beginning of a class when the instructor was late), but I swim for Triathlon and play table tennis when I need to be humbled; especially by my wife's uncle who was champion of some Baltic country.

    There is a wide variety of food out there to try. There are many forms of exercise and many athletic activities as well. If you feel like you are going to die when you run, try riding a bike. If you feel stupid taking low impact aerobics classes then go lift weights. If you like cous-cous, give quinoa(pronounced KEEN-wah) a try. Keep variety going in your life, it will keep you young.

    Starting today, make a commitment to yourself for 90 days. Commit to trying. Put in a little more effort than the day before in whatever you do. Try lifting weights at the gym or at home. Try an aerobics class. Try a Spinning class. Try Karate or Tae Kwan Do. Try that new vegetarian restaurant in town. Just go out and give more effort to being healthy, adventurous, and experimental. Sometimes making a healthy choice is as simple as trying broccoli again for the first time.

 

Here is what you can do:

1. Exercise in front of the TV. Stand up and sit down on the couch 15 times. Do this at the beginning, middle and end of a show.

2. Eat 1 more vegetable at 1 meal. Tomorrow, 1 more veggie at 2 meals.

3. Take a walk after 1 meal. Tomorrow, walk after 2 meals.

4. Go out for playtime with your family. You will have a better relationship with them.

5. Do something physical that feels great. If it feels really great, do it again and again.
Have fun and be healthy TODAY!



No comments:

Post a Comment