Tuesday, February 2, 2010

What does your body really want?

What does your body really want?

Andy Nelson for www.getfitnyc.com


 



    I got a craving today for something sweet. This a normal craving, as are salty, sour and bitter cravings. But I knew I had a one hour jog ahead of me and the sweets would ruin the run with GI distress (tummy ache). So I drank some water with Green Tea Tincture and went for my run. I had a great run while using some new techniques and drills. The hills near my house made the run very challenging. When I finished I had a chocolate and vanilla recovery shake, craving satisfied. 

    It just takes will power in short doses and a little attention to know what your body really wants. My body wanted energy and sugar is a very quick source of it. I gave my body what it really needed, some water and some exercise. Sure, it is easier to reach for a sugary snack, but the increase in insulin will eventually tell you you are hungry again. Probably sooner than later.

    Exercise on the other hand helps the body to adjust to insulin and to make the insulin surges after eating to be more manageable. Exercise is the reason healthier weight individuals have an easier time maintaining a healthy weight. The people on The Biggest Loser who stay the longest should have the greatest chance of future success. The longer you exercise regularly, the easier it is to maintain a healthy weight. My uncle lost close to 160 pounds to get down to 240lbs! That is an incredible feat. His doctor finally warned him that he would probably have a heart attack and die. It took that message for him to be spurred into action. 400 pounds is a tremendous strain on the nervous system. But if you are not 6'6" tall then 200 pounds is probably a strain also.

    Listen to what your body tells you. Listen before you eat and keep listening. Did your body say thank you for the food? Is your stomach happy? How about your bowels? How is your breath? Sometimes bad breath is a sign of dehydration or poor digestion. An upset stomach is a sign that you ate something your body does NOT like. So listen to what your body says.

 

A few things you can do:

1. See a nutritionist and be honest with them about how you eat.

2. Be honest with yourself about how you eat. Try keeping a food log.

3. Only eat clean food. If you cannot understand the ingredients, your body will not either.

4. Go for a light walk after you eat. 15-20 minutes of mild walking can aid digestion.

5. Do not eat until you feel full. By then you are past full.

6. Don't eat in front of a screen. (sorry, I just broke my own suggestion, but i am going to walk the dog now)

7. Eat lots of vegetables. Given the volume per calorie of most vegetables it is pretty difficult to over eat on them. 
Smile and be healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment